V magazine’s new “Asia” issue is out after a year in the making. Lady Gaga covers the “Asia” issue. It is interesting that the magazine decided to feature a famous non-Asian on its “Asia” issue cover.
V has devoted the issue to celebrate an eclectic mix of all things Eastern.
While this issue of V is not meant to be news breaking, it does well to chronicle and provide a retrospective to the emerging powerhouse that is Asia.
Covering high fashion, culture, music, celebrities, theater, and society, you’ll find a mosaic of Asian personalities and events:
- A collage of Asian style icons such as Bao Bao Wan (jewelery designer,) Jenny Shimizu (model & mechanic,) and James Iha (musician.)
- An interview with China’s leading lady, Gong Li. Having achieved many firsts for Chinese actresses (first to receive a top award at an international film festival, first to be a judge/ chairperson of the Berlin, Cannes or Venice Film Festivals,) she also has a strong relationship with fashion house Louis Vuitton. “She is an immense talent and (…) a great friend” says Yves Carcelle.
- An interview with Asia’s most closely followed and voraciously consumed boy band JYJ (backed by power players such as Kanye West,) who is set to launch their first English language album, “The Beginning” in the US this summer.
- A rare tongue in cheek Q&A with David Tang, founder of the Shanghai Tang, China Tang and China Club restaurants and most recently the website iconnect, with his close friend Kate Moss.
- A “Girls on Top” spread about the Linda’s and Kate’s of the world who have morphed into the Liu Wen’s and Fei Fei’s of today. Meet four Asian supermodels.
- A feature on four of Asia’s most famous muses – Sayoko Yamaguchi, Anna May Wong, Ayumi Hamasaki, and Tura Satana.
Also, for the first time in V’s history, you can get it translated into Chinese which is available for download on VMagazine.com.
photo credit: v magazine